Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 24 January 2015

Valentine Rose (posted by Judith)

Hello everyone, I have a project to show you today using the Punky Hearts stamp sheet, currently on offer on the website.

I began my project by stamping and masking the punky rose on a piece of smooth watercolour paper. I then covered the background with a stencil, and using a light brown inkpad, I coloured through the stencil. With the stencil still in place, I stamped the crackle stamp from the Echoes of Italy stamp set all over the background, using a darker brown ink. I stamped the image onto scrap paper each time first, so that I got a lighter image. This is called 'second generation stamping', as I did not want the ink to be too dark. Once the ink was dry, and with the stencil still in place, I brushed a layer of acrylic wax over the top, and allowed this to dry.

I removed the stencil, and covered the rest of the background with a soft lilac, and then added a darker colour around the edges. The wax acts as a resist, protecting the area that was covered earlier. I buffed the wax areas, to remove any of the lilac ink, and the contrast between the two areas became much sharper.

I removed the mask from the rose, and coloured the image using co-ordinating dye ink stamped onto an acrylic block, which I picked up with a waterbrush. I picked out the 'metal' areas of the rose using a gold pen. I added a die cut sentiment, and matted the project onto green card.


Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful Judith, really love the background x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Simply lovely stamp but with a beuatiful background. I love this card. Janny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done. The background is so pretty. It really makes your image pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice background for your beautiful rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful rose on a pretty background

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely interesting technique - I'd not realised that the wax would act as a resist but that makes sense. The darker brown crackle detail really enhances the whole steampunk grungy theme. I particularly like your use of the bold vibrant green on those leaves - it really brings the whole focal image forward & I can imagine that the gold gel pen on the metal parts provide a perfect metallic echo for the gilding wax. Your deep green base card enhances the & tones down the vibrant green at the same time, that's a really clever touch & so instructive to see in action as my instinct would have been to use black which wouldn't have had the same effect.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the background and colours you have used, really lovely x Lavinia

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's stunning, thanks for the description of how you did it too - some great tips and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This a lovely card Judith and the wax adds yet another dimension to the design. I like the use of the crackle stamp under the wax too. The punky tulip is just perfect as the focal image and love the way you have coloured it so prettily in a matching shade to complement the background. The black base card with the nice bright green leads your eye in and adds a great finishing touch. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the wonderful explanation. Beautiful card

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great card Judith, with lots of skill needed to make all those layers work together for the harmonious end result you have achieved. Like Paula, I love the splashes of green, they really lift and integrate your whole design, the matting was one of the first things that drew my eye, I also would have gone instinctively for the black I usually use and your design works brilliantly. A lovely design and I was very interested to here how you had used the wax. Elaine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful how subtile the rose stands out from the background!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card Judith. Fab background and I do love that rose.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!