Pin It button on image hover

Monday 20 July 2015

Birds of Paradise (by Julie)



Hello, hope you are loving the bird theme for this month. I think they make fabulous designs for any occasion which makes them so versatile. For my first card I have taken the bird cage from A Little Bird Told Me and the bird stamp is from As Free As A Bird. The leaves stamped around the bird panel are from Seasonal Fragments

The bird and leaves have been coloured with coloured pencils and I have added white highlights with a marker pen and Crystal Stickles. To create the cage, I inked up the stamp with Onyx Black Versafine and then spread over Molding Paste and set a side for at least 12 hours to dry. Once dry I very carefully peeled the paste from the stamp and coloured with a yellow alcohol pen. For the background I spritzed water onto water-colour card and then dropped on some pale blue, liquid water-colour and dried with a heat tool. I then applied Fossilized Amber and Fired Brick Distress ink with a wet wipe and when it was dry I added some Crystal Stickles.


As you can see my second card is in a similar style to my first and they were both created in a similar way. The only differences are that on the background, instead of dabbing the Distress ink, I took a wet wipe and swirled the Pickled Raspberry Distress ink.
For the birdcage I cut and stamped the image 5 times, then using one of the cages as the base I folded the remaining 4 cages in half and glued them together. Before gluing them to the base cage I ran a length of thread, from the top of the cage to the bottom and attached jump rings to each end so that the chain and beaded head pins could be attached.
I attached the cage chain to an eyelet that I had set in a die cut border and used silicone glue to glue everything to the base card.

Thanks for stopping by and please come again soon xx

5 comments:

  1. Two really pretty cards Julie and the wet wipe to spread the ink has worked really well. I love the idea of ink and molding paste for the cage and the dimensional cage in the second card hanging from some chain. The seasonal fragment round the edge of the bird toppers leads your eye nicely in to the prettily coloured birds. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cards, colouring is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning Julie - love them both. j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really pretty Julie. I especially love the background on the first one and the birdcage on the second is a really clever idea!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!