Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 9 January 2016

Steampunk Travel Turbine (by Anne)

Today I am sharing my first book fold project. I have used the Steampunk Travel stamp set (recently featured on the Craft Channel TV show) to decorate and embellish. This one was quite a challenge, nobody saw me for days (tee hee), but I had enormous fun making it. I just love Fantasy themes.  
 




 
 I hope that my project inspires you to play. Happy Crafting, Anne xxx.  Materials:
  • Steampunk Travel stamp set
  • Recycled paperback book (440 pages, 220 page folds) – 17.5 X 11cm size
  • White stamping card, Kraft card and black card
  • Inkpads: Memento (Tuxedo Black), Ranger Archival (Coffee)
  • Gilding wax and metallic pen (gold)
  • Alcohol ink pens (purples, lilac, dark reds and blues)
  • Dies and embossing folders to suit the Steampunk theme
  • Air dry paper clay and silicone moulds
  • Adhesive and 3D glue gel

Summary of how it was made:  · I created the book fold to make a shape resembling a turbine – suitable for the theme. First I used simple folding to create an upside down vase shape. I then added further folds and some cutting until I was happy with my ‘industrial’ shape. I glued a barbeque stick through the centre to provide a scaffold to build upon on the top.  
  · I added a die cut lattice across the top which divided it into 2 halves. This provided and area to attach embellishments but also made it easier to design something that looks good from all angles. I didn’t want ugly backs of cut out stamped images to be obvious.  · Flowers and leaves were cut from black card, embossed to give texture, and rubbed over with gilding wax to make them look metallic. I also made lots of little embellishments using lightweight air dry paper clay and moulds.  · Images were stamped onto white card with black ink, coloured with alcohol pens, and cut out.

8 comments:

  1. Oh WOW this is stunning Anne, I love how you've folded the book and also how you've used the wonderful steampunk stamps.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! This is fantastic Anne and love how you put it together with all the different component parts. How you managed to get the basic shape by folding just one book is incredible! Personally I wouldn't know where to start...lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh Anne, amazingly stunning, what an amount of work, just the book folding is brilliant let alone allthe fabulous images, love it, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is one amazing piece Anne - it looks absolutely brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So many details and a project that took a lont time to get looking this beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing project Anne! I wouldn't know where to start with the book folding let alone the rest of it. Well done!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful work ! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!