Pin It button on image hover

Friday 6 May 2016

Steampunk Fish (posted by Claire)

Good morning, Claire here with a mixed media project made using Steampunk Funky Fish. I'm a huge fan of steampunk and had the idea of creating a porthole effect looking out onto the fish swimming in the ocean.


To create my sea for the centre of the port hole I inked my brayer up with turquoise dye in and rolled it over crumpled paper before brayering some white glossy cardstock to give the dappled effect of light shining through water. I stamped the images on white glossy card with versamark and embossed with a sparkly gold embossing powder and coloured with distress markers. I cut the fish out and glued them to the sea and set them aside to dry while I made the background and the porthole.



The background was made using some silver self adhesive tape from a local DIY shop, I've no idea what it's used for but apparently plumbers use it. I had a better use in mind though and set to snipping random shapes to create the 'faux riveted metal' technique. I haven't used this technique for ages as it does take a while but it's great fun! 

Next I peeled off the backing from the silver tape and stuck the shapes at random on some white card until it was covered (except for the area where the porthole was going to be positioned). To create the texture of the rivets you can use various different tools to create different effects, I used a ballpoint pen, an embossing tool, an old credit card and and a prpelling pencil. I created dots and lines along the borders of the pieces of tape. Once I was happy with the texture I coloured the silver tape with alcohol inks using shades of brown, yellow and orange. Next I applied some verdigris embossing powder. I gave some die cut cogs the same treatment and attached them to the background, adding some metal embellishments from my stash.


I made the porthole by die cutting some greyboard and painting with a mixture of gold and copper acylic paints. I added some 'screws' with tiny circles of card and a fastener from my stash.


To finish off I've added some more embellishments coloured with paint and some copper ribbon to hang the project up.

Thanks for visiting today,
Claire xx


5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is beautiful sunken treasure!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous plaque Claire, wonderful colours and detail, Kate X

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect and beautiful frame for these fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous Claire and the plumbers' tape works perfectly with the cogs and the inks and paints you have used to colour it all. I have just bought the pair of steampunk fish sets as they were on offer and haven't done any steampunk before so am looking forward to using them. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!