Pin It button on image hover

Sunday 25 September 2016

steampunk butterfly

 For my last DT post this month I did another canvas as we are still playing with textures.
I used a brick wall stencil and texture paste on two corners, then acrylic paint over all the canvas. I wanted a sort of peeling paint effect, so added some Decoart antiquing cream in patina green and rubbed it off over the bricks. It wasn't quite right, so I scrubbed it with a baby wipe and then added distress rock candy crackle paint , which was a bit better.
I stamped the steampunk roses onto tissue paper with archival ink, then coloured on the reverse with alcohol marker pens. I tore them out, then added to the base with a matt multimedia medium.
They didn't quite blend in with the background, but I didn't dare trying to get them off and trim them some more!





For the butterfly I brushed some metallic mica powders over the stamp before I added the black soft form relief paste over the whole stamp and left it to dry.
Once it was dry - about 30 hours this time - I peeled the paste off the stamp, trimmed the edges and glued onto the canvas.
I was very pleased with the butterfly, though I had forgotten just how little powder you needed......and how it gets everywhere!

10 comments:

  1. Great colours and textures, and this butterfly is just stunning! Thanks for the explanation on how you make them, very interesting tricks! Love the patina and crackle on the bricks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours. Proof, yet again, that steampunk can be feminine. Thanks for the tutorial... texture paste looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours. Proof, yet again, that steampunk can be feminine. Thanks for the tutorial... texture paste looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning piece of work Veronica, wonderful colours and design, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. Haven't heard of the relief paste. Sorry if this question sounds a bit daft but presumably the mica is stable in the paste? tfs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems to be ok, wasn't coming off when I trimmed it down anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely, thanks for sharing how you did it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty Veronica, and I love this technique of using the relief paste on to the stamp and leaving it to dry before peeling off to give this fabulous relief and love the mica powder brushed over the top. The tissue paper flowers are something different too and have worked beautifully. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, amazing results with the relief paste on the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, amazing results with the relief paste on the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!