Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 3 November 2018

Butterfly Masking (by Judith)

Hello everyone, I am sharing two cards with you today created for last month TV shows on Hochanda. If you caught the shows, you will have seen me demoing the first card, and showing the second card as an alternative option for the technique that I used.

To create my card, I drew a circle with a pencil onto a piece of smooth white card using a circle die, but anything the right size will do. I then stamped three butterflies into the card using Versafine Onyx Black Ink, and masked the images using masking tissue. I stamped six daisies from the Butterfly Daisy Collage stamp set around the circle, three close to the butterflies, and masked those as well. I used a foliage stamp from the Thistle Butterfly stamp set to create the background leaves for the wreath, using an olive green dye based ink. Once I had finished, I removed the masks, and coloured the images with pencil. I added a sentiment from the Words to Dazzle and Sparkle stamp set.

My second card was created in much the same way, but I based the colours on my background, which I had found in my stash box. I stamped the butterflies first, masking them as before, then adding the daisies behind. Finally, I added the same foliage stamp to fill in the background, using a lovely plum coloured dye based ink. I coloured the images with pencils as before. I added a bit of shading around the edges of both pieces of card with Distress Ink, and used a purple card to mat both layers. The sentiment comes from Amazing Mackintosh Words.

To help me plan both cards, I placed my masking tissue images onto my pieces of card first, moving them around to see how they would fit, this helps to visualise what the card will look like. I also stamped my wreath onto a piece of copy paper first, trying out the design, and various colour options for the flowers. I would always advise you to do this if you are unsure about a design, copy paper is very cheap, and you can have several attempts at something, without worrying about your mistakes, before moving onto card.



I will be back later in the month with more designs to share with you. Thanks for stopping by,

Judith xx

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. Will definitely have to try this.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All beautiful cards Judith and the wreaths look spectacular. I also love your inky background on the second card. Great showcasing of these beautiful stamps x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that wreath! Thanks for taking the time to explain it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three gorgeous cards, love the beautiful wreaths.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so fresh and pretty Judith and look fabulous with the plain white background which lets it stand out beautifully, and then the gorgeous purply blue inky background, and the complementary colours on the wreath enhanced with the added plum ink blended around the edges and plum mats to match the similar ink you used, keeps everything in harmony. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning cards Judith, I love the wreaths and butterflies and such gorgeous colours too, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two beautiful cards Judith.. love both of them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!