Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday 14 November 2018

Painting with Bleach (by Judith)

Hello everyone, I am back with another project to share with you showcasing the stamps that we brought to you on last month's TV shows on Hochanda. I wanted to revisit a technique that I love to use in conjunction with Distress Inks, painting with bleach, it works so well, and these stamps are a great way to show off the technique. I made a larger project a while back using the very same technique, and I will share a couple of photos of that project with you at the end of my post.

I started my project by creating two panels, one large and one smaller, shading them with Distress Inks in a rainbow panel. I started in the middle with yellow, and worked out using orange and red on one side, green, blue and purple on the other side. I made sure to blend the colours smoothly, going back over the joins where necessary with the previous colour. I matted both layers with black card, and turned them so that they were facing the opposite way to each other when I put them together.

I coloured some spare card with Distress Inks, and stamped a couple of flowers and a butterfly from the Butterfly Daisy Collage stamp set onto the card using Archival Jet Black ink. I painted parts of the image with neat household bleach and a fine brush. IMPORTANT: do make sure that you are working in a well ventilated area when you do this. I cut the images out, and stamped a foliage image onto the smaller background a couple of times using black ink. I curled the petals of the flowers and butterfly slightly before adhering them to the background. I added a sentiment from the Loving Sentiments stamp set.

As you will see, I was very much inspired by my previous project! This flag book uses lots of our other stamps, but incorporates stamps from other companies too. Lesley is a huge advocate of mixing and matching our stamp sets together, but encourages you to use your Chocolate Baroque stamps with your other stamps as well.




I used the same techniques throughout this book, Distress Ink backgrounds, stamping with Archival Ink, and painting with bleach. I have added a bit of stencilling here and there for added texture, and a few small embellishments. I hope that you will give this technique a try, it's a lot of fun, and depending on the colour of ink that you use, the results vary.

I will be back later in the month with more inspiration, thanks for stopping by,

Judith xx

8 comments:

  1. Stunning cards Judith, such wonderful colours and designs, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous works!!! Love so much all and especially that flag book! I have to try the painting with bleach technique, it's so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab! I haven't painted with bleach for years - new ideas come along and the older ones get overlooked sadly. Time for a re-visit methinks, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW these are fabulous!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards and love the flag book too Judith, and must give bleaching a go. I have taken the colour out with water but never used bleach which does seem to give a brighter white finish. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful. I adore the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All beautiful cards, must get my butterfly stamp set out again, don't use it often enough.
    Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are absolutely stunning Judith. I love the effect of painting with bleach and it’s a technique that I use a lot myself. I love the bold colours that you’ve used in your work here x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!