Pin It button on image hover

challenge blog link

Saturday, 10 September 2016

Textured Poppies (by Judith)

Hello everyone, this month on the Design Team, we are exploring texture. It can be in a variety of ways, using stencils, stamps, patterns, layers, but as long as it represents texture in some way. I knew that I wanted to create this piece as my first project, as it incorporated lots of my favourite things.

With a free rein this month, I decided to create a project using one of my all time favourite Chocolate Baroque stamps. I have used this stamp so many times over the years, and I decided to make it the focal part of my design. I covered a Tando plaque with a very thin layer of texture paste, I spritzed my poppy stamp with water, and pressed the stamp into the texture paste. I also used a small texture stamp from the Tangled Fragments stamp set around the edges.

I covered a square canvas with gesso, and dried this completely. Using texture paste, I added some poppy heads to the canvas with a stencil. I let the canvas dry completely. I then took One of the Gold Aztec Paints,  and poured out two large blobs onto my non-stick craft mat. I added Vermillion Brusho to one blob, and Sea Green to the other blob. I painted the canvas using the paints, half red, half green, blending wherever they met. I also painted the Tando plaque, using mostly green, but added a small amount of red around the edges.

Once both of the pieces were dry, I added some stamping to the canvas, using a corresponding stamp from the Harlequin Fragments stamp set, using red and green ink. I added some gilding wax to the textured areas on both pieces, and edged both pieces with Gold Soft Form Relief Paste. This makes a super edging, as it is very easy to apply.

I added some pretty green/grey lace to the canvas before attaching the Tando plaque. Finally I added a quote from the Words of Wisdom stamp set, using Black Archival Ink. My first photo shows the texture of the panel quite well.
I took my second photograph outside to show the shimmer a bit better.

I will be back later in the month with another texture piece to share. Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx

7 comments:

  1. Hi Judith, lovely work and beautiful soft Autumn colors! xx have a nice weekend, it is like Summer here.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the combination of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful canvas Judith and I love the colours and the pretty poppies and fragments with lots of fabulous texture and love tbe added lace too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous canvas Judith, great texture and colours, I love the poppy heads image, the beautiful lace is such a lovely addition, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful piece of art!! Amazing textures and stamps on your mixed media and the light grey lace is a fab detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful use of texture and colour - really lovely! hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the soft colours; gives such a warm flow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!