Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 10 September 2016

Textured Poppies (by Judith)

Hello everyone, this month on the Design Team, we are exploring texture. It can be in a variety of ways, using stencils, stamps, patterns, layers, but as long as it represents texture in some way. I knew that I wanted to create this piece as my first project, as it incorporated lots of my favourite things.

With a free rein this month, I decided to create a project using one of my all time favourite Chocolate Baroque stamps. I have used this stamp so many times over the years, and I decided to make it the focal part of my design. I covered a Tando plaque with a very thin layer of texture paste, I spritzed my poppy stamp with water, and pressed the stamp into the texture paste. I also used a small texture stamp from the Tangled Fragments stamp set around the edges.

I covered a square canvas with gesso, and dried this completely. Using texture paste, I added some poppy heads to the canvas with a stencil. I let the canvas dry completely. I then took One of the Gold Aztec Paints,  and poured out two large blobs onto my non-stick craft mat. I added Vermillion Brusho to one blob, and Sea Green to the other blob. I painted the canvas using the paints, half red, half green, blending wherever they met. I also painted the Tando plaque, using mostly green, but added a small amount of red around the edges.

Once both of the pieces were dry, I added some stamping to the canvas, using a corresponding stamp from the Harlequin Fragments stamp set, using red and green ink. I added some gilding wax to the textured areas on both pieces, and edged both pieces with Gold Soft Form Relief Paste. This makes a super edging, as it is very easy to apply.

I added some pretty green/grey lace to the canvas before attaching the Tando plaque. Finally I added a quote from the Words of Wisdom stamp set, using Black Archival Ink. My first photo shows the texture of the panel quite well.
I took my second photograph outside to show the shimmer a bit better.

I will be back later in the month with another texture piece to share. Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx

7 comments:

  1. Hi Judith, lovely work and beautiful soft Autumn colors! xx have a nice weekend, it is like Summer here.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the combination of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful canvas Judith and I love the colours and the pretty poppies and fragments with lots of fabulous texture and love tbe added lace too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous canvas Judith, great texture and colours, I love the poppy heads image, the beautiful lace is such a lovely addition, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful piece of art!! Amazing textures and stamps on your mixed media and the light grey lace is a fab detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful use of texture and colour - really lovely! hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the soft colours; gives such a warm flow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!