Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Guest Post - Butterfly Canvas by Julie Smith

How soon the weeks pass, we are already at Julie's last post as a guest designer and this week she has a stunning canvas to share with us.


Hello to you all, today I have a canvas for my third and final post as January's guest designer which I have created using the fabulous Punky Hearts and Fluttering Hearts stamp sets.

I started by covering the canvas board with Golden Molding Paste and dragging a contour tool through the paste to create texture. I added jute, wooden butterfly and bird charms, micro glass beads and a chipboard die cut cog to the wet paste and then set aside to dry.

Once dry I painted it with light pink and mint green acrylic paint so that the base was as light in colour as possible. Once dry I darkened the canvas by stenciling green dots and adding a variety of distress inks over the top. The flower was created by stamping the smaller heart four times from the Punky heart set. The centre of the flower is a small die cut circle layered up with a cheap bracelet charm picked up from Primark!
The butterfly and heart was stamped onto Clearly For Art Modeling film, I then sprayed alcohol pens on the reverse and then painted over the reverse with white Gesso to make the colour pop.

I stamped the jewelled heart using black Versafine and coloured with green and red chalks. I then punched a hole to add an eyelet and jump ring so that I could attach the chain to the steampunk style heart.

The steampunk heart was created by spreading Iridescent Paste over the rubber stamp and leaving over night to dry. Once dry I coloured the heart by spraying various alcohol pens and then attaching an eyelet to the key so that the chain could be attached.

Thanks to everyone that has left a very kind and very appreciated comment, I have really enjoyed being a guest designer and you have all made me feel very welcome.

Thank you for this inspiring project Julie and for being our guest for the last three weeks.  I am sure you will want to show your appreciation for Julie's final work of art and remember to check out her blog, Julie's Crafty Bits.

11 comments:

  1. Wow love this card. Beautiful colors. Greetings Janny

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful canvas with lots of interesting techniques and shows what can be achieved with these lovely stamps and a bit of ingenuity. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being guest designer. I love this board. The soft colours are so pretty.Your hearts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soft colours make that butterfly really stand out

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely canvass I've really enjoyed seeing your makes over this last month
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous project Julie. So much eye candy! Love all of the detail. The Steampunk heart at the bottom looks amazing. Great texture on the background. TFS.
    Hugs Flo xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is lovely! I'm going to 'pin' it for inspiration when I start my major canvas project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely canvas Julie! Love all the texture and the colours in the background are really pretty. Fab inspiration and glad you enjoyed your guest designer month.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great texture! Love the pastel-colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful piece of art Julie, it's inspired me to seek out an odd canvas I have x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!