Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Guest Post - Up in the Air by Julie Smith

Welcome to the second post from our guest Design Team member Julie Smith.  This week Julie has used both the Punky Hearts and Fluttering Hearts to turn a plain frame into a thing of beauty. So sit back and enjoy.

Hello everyone, firstly I would just like to say thank you to everyone that left a comment on my first guest design team post, I really appreciated all the kind comments.

Today I have another up-cycled picture frame but instead of UTEE I have used Sculpey clay. I pressed the heart stamp into silver and black Sculpey Clay tiles which I have then glued to the frame.  I found spritzing the stamp with water and glycerine before pressing into the clay made it much easier to release the stamp and after baking the clay I rubbed over the tiles with a red gilding wax.  The 4cm square cutter I used for the tiles didn't quite fill the picture frame so to fill the gaps I applied some Mixiton Relief which, when dry, allowed for copper gilding flakes to be added. 

I added black glitter glue to the edges of the tiles and stuck a black 1cm jute ribbon around the inside and outside of the picture frame,  just to tidy up any raw edges.

The heart embellishment was made in the same way but I used gold Sculpey clay and when it was baked I glued a black cord around the edge so that I could stitch the crystal seed beeds around the edge. I added crystal Stickles glue and red Gilding Wax to finish.

The main picture was created by stamping the balloon onto the base card and creating the sky with distress ink. I then stamped the balloon a further 5 times, coloured each balloon with coloured pencils and then cut and folded each of the balloons in half before glueing the outside edges together to create a 3d effect. I decoupaged the flowers in the balloon basket and finished off by adding Crystal Stickles glue to the flowers and the trailing flag.

I really enjoyed creating this frame and hope you like it too.

I just love the texture and three dimensional nature of this beautiful project which would grace anyone's home. Please add your thanks to Julie by leaving a comment and don't forget you can catch up with her on her blog  Julie's Crafty Bits 


20 comments:

  1. Well done Julie! This is a wonderful alteration and I love what you did with the balloon!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful project Julie, love the 3D balloon, and the gorgeous texture of your frame, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your frame, that's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect airballoonstamps and this one is a beauty, but made out to a 3-d creation it looks super!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful frame. The gold pieces makes it so rich. Your balloon is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful creation and home decor items are really popular at the moment. Thank you for your detailed explanation. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing and so creative . Do you sell your creations . ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment Janice. I don't sell my creations at the moment, I just love creating them

      Delete
  8. Wow this is an amazing piece of Art!!!! Great use of Clay!!! and materials!! I think I can learn a lot from you!!!

    Greetings
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another wonderful project Julie. We will be all searching out our old frames now. Love how you have made the balloon 3D and used the heart for the square tiles. Such inspiring idea. TFS.
    Flo xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely Julie and the 3d effect of the balloon is great! A wonderful piece of mixed media. Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, another fab project Julie, absolutely gorgeous with all your tiles in clay and so stunning with the heart with beads and this wonderful 3D balloon.. This is brilliant!! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous project, I love the 3D balloon and the clay frame. Fantastic artwork! Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very striking indeed & I love the copper elements on each side of the frame. Your ribbon edging gives a lovely neat finish & I particularly like how that black edging ties in with the black base of the balloon. The glowing colour of your heart in the balloon is nicely picked up by the copper elements & there's a real warmth to the heart which is echoed by your golden glittery elements on the flowers & banners. Fascinating to see how it all combines into a cohesive whole.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really lovely, and the 3d effect of the balloon is awesome, so much more than just decoupage! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the way you've done the frame

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julie, very appealing piece of art, I want to reach into the PC and feel it! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!