Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 13 December 2014

Along the Edge of the Sea Bed (posted by Judith)

Hello everyone, I have another watery sample to show you today, using the Steampunk Funk Fish and Steampunk Sea World stamp sets, currently on offer as Stamp of the Month sets.

I started my sample by stamping the seashell edge taken from the Seaside Dreams stamp set near the bottom of my background, but splitting it in half, and stamping a piece on either side of the page. I also created a mask of the image, and covered the original stamped image with the mask. I then stamped the octopus from the Steampunk Funk Fish stamp plate in between the two images, and masked that image as well. I stamped the seaweed edge slightly higher up the page in the middle, and then a piece on each side, to create a continuous run behind the first set of images, and masked these as well. I used some water based acrylic inks, which I diluted and blended to get the colours that I wanted, and then coloured the background, using a turquoise for the sea area, and an ochre colour for the sand. I added extra interest to the sea area by sponging Distress Ink through a stencil to create a bubble effect. I stamped several fish onto adhesive labels and coloured these with water colour pencils, and also stamped a few more directly onto the background. I chose to stamp the background fish with blue ink, so that they appeared to fade into the background slightly, toning the colours down on these fish as well. I removed the masks from the images on the sea bed, and coloured these with watercolour pencils, blending the colours with a waterbrush. I added a stamp from the Nature Fragments stamp set along the edges for a bit of extra funky seaweed.

Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx

7 comments:

  1. A lovely scene, especially like the sea area

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely card and so full of interest with a gorgeous stencilled light blue background and pretty sandy coloured seabed, and with all the different sea creatures makes a fantastical and magical scene. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The depth you've created in your seascape is lovely & thank you for the clear instructions on how to achieve it. The trick of splitting an image & stamping it either side with another repeated behind in a continuous line is so effective & really 'sets the scene' coupled with your blue stamping of the fish to make them appear further back. Your added funky seaweed provides a super frame midst all the bubbles. I had to smile at the octopus eyeing up the fish above him!
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a great seascene! Love the collage on the bottum and the fishes look so free!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!