Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday 14 January 2015

Guest post - Well Framed by Julie Smith

I would like you to welcome our first guest for the New Year, Julie Smith. Julie has some fabulous projects to share with you over the next three weeks using our romantic new steampunk hearts. So sit back and enjoy her first contribution made using the Punky Hearts stamp set




As soon as I received these stamps I was so pleased as it is the type of set I would buy, then, my excitement turned to anxiety as I wondered what I could create that would be worthy of a Design Team post. After much thought I decided to up-cycle a very cheap picture frame from the local super market.

  • I used a melt pot to pour UTEE over the frame before stamping into it with the swirly heart and the cluster of hearts stamps. If you don't have a melt pot then embossing powder heated using a heat gun straight onto the picture frame would work just as well. 
  • In between the embossed areas I added coloured micro beads glued into place with Glossy Accents along with brown jute that I colored with an alcohol pen. 
  • I stamped the clockwork heart into black Cloud Clay and when it was dry I wiped over DecoArt Metallic Lustre in gold and attached to the frame with silicon glue.
  • The picture was stamped and coloured with watercolour pencils and when it was dry I went over it with a couple of coats of Colourcraft Acrylic Wax. When that was dry I gave it a buff with an old cloth which I think has given it a softer look.
Well, my first post is now complete, thank you for looking and I hope to be back again soon with another project.

Love the idea of up-cycling Julie this is a great addition to any home decor or it would make a brilliant gift. I hope you will take some time to leave a comment for Julie and if you want to see more of her work please check out her blog, Julie's Crafty Bits



17 comments:

  1. Wow, great textures! Fits the steampunk rose perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being a guest designer. Your frame is very intriguing and I appreciate you taking the time to explain how you did it, I have a melt pot I've yet to use. Love how this showcases your image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good piece of up-cycling. No one would recognize the original

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mixed media piece Judith! Lovely to see how the stamps look in such a different style!
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your frame is just gorgeous Julie. Haven't used by Melt Pot in ages, time to get it out again!
    The heart is fabulous too. Am wondering if normal clay will do the same job.
    Assuming it will but just take longer to dry. Love this stamp set, another for my wish list!
    Only problem is one of my New Years resolutions is to use my existing crafty stash this year without buying too much new stuff, can't see that lasting very long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks for your kind words. I have tried paper clay, cloud clay, Fimo and Sculpey clay and the results are all pretty much the same, the only thing I found was that you needed ink on the stamp to release it from the cloud and paper clay and a spritz of water with a touch of glycerine sprayed onto the stamp to release the stamp from the Fimo and Sculpey clay.

      Delete
  6. Thank you everyone for your kind comments, really appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Julie, your project is gorgeous, I love the effects of the techniques and design. I need to get my melt pot out as well :) Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous mixed media piece Julie, and shows the stamps can be used in so many ways. I love the colours too. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous project Julie. Love all of the texture and colors. Great Up cycling.
    Flo xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The gold & black clay heart is very striking & I like the way it picks up on the harlequin blackl stamped elements on your frame. Very interesting to see you mixture of colours & how they support one another in the overall design.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great project and it reminds me I have UTEE among my stash somewhere

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is gorgeous!!! I love the contrast between the frame and the delicate picture inside, also the effect of the acrylic wax on it.. Great work Julie! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this look stunning, great design , great structure!! I love it!!

    Greetings
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful texture from the stamping into UTEE and you've done a beautiful job on altering your frame. Totally worthy of a DT project!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!