Pin It button on image hover

Friday 9 June 2017

Colourful Butterflies (by Judith)

Hello everyone, I have some projects to share with you today featured on the One Day Special shows on Hochanda last month. Butterflies just happen to be one of my favourite subjects to work with and so I was really happy to work with this group of stamps, and the huge Patchwork Butterfly is such a super stamp, don't you think? You may have heard Lesley say on the show that I had suggested that we have a stencil to match the stamps, and it has been great fun using the stencil with the stamps, creating some of these projects, and the ones that I will share with you later in the month.

For my first project, I stamped the large butterfly from the Patchwork Butterfly stamp set onto a piece of smooth watercolour paper, and masked the image with Masking Tissue, before moving onto creating the background. I drew one of the butterflies onto the Masking Tissue, using the stencil, six or seven times, and cut these out. I then inked through the stencil, using a pale orange Distress Ink randomly over the background, keeping to the same butterfly shape each time. Ensuring that the ink was dry, I then used the sentiment from the stamp plate, and stamped through the same shape over the previously inked areas. Once the ink was dry, I covered each image with a mask.

I added background colour, choosing warm reds and yellows, blending the colours where they met, and spritzing the background with water once I had finished. I blotted the background with some kitchen tissue to take away some of the ink. I added some swirls using brown ink. Finally, I removed the masks and coloured the large butterfly with Distress Inks and a water brush.

For my second project, I created a wrinkle free distress background using Distress Inks. I stamped a swirl around the edge of the background to create a frame, and added the sentiment. I stamped the butterfly antennae onto the card directly, and stamped the entire image again onto a separate piece of card. I coloured the image with water based markers, before adhering it to the background.

Finally, a remake of an old card that I made several years ago. It has had a bit of an update, so I hope you will forgive me for showing it in my post.

I created a background using paper masks and inked the sky and hills. I added a sentiment from the Words to Dazzle and Sparkle stamp set. The foliage is from the Spring Foliage and Spring is in the Air stamp sets. I stamped the antennae from the large butterfly directly onto the card, and then stamped the butterfly and a fairy from the Spring Fairy Collection onto a spare piece of card. I coloured them using water based markers.

Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards, really love the fairy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three amazing cards, I'm in love with the first one for the great masking and inking, these butterflies are stunning and so inspiring! The second one is just wonderful with its colours, love the oxides tones and the delicate butterfly! The last one with the fairy is really delicius!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everyone of these Judith, beautifully designed and coloured, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These three cards are gorgeous Judith and I love the wonderful masking and the butterflies in the background covered with the sentiment, these make a wonderful background to the pretty large butterfly, and then the great pastel shades you have used on the second and love the brown swirls which frame the butterfly perfectly, then the fairy on top of that beautiful scene on the last card. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three stunning cards and the Butterflies with the text through them look amazing. The colouring on all three cards is absolutely superb! Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all beautiful, thanks for sharing such lovely art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a treat for the eyes! Three beutiful and beautiful soft coloured cards!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!