Pin It button on image hover

challenge blog link

Saturday, 20 July 2013

Stitched Poppy by Debbie

Good morning. My project today was inspired by my lovely friend and DT buddy Judith as I thought her beautiful poppy cottage will have gorgeous soft furnishing and a cushion with a poppy on would be perfect. I recently discovered my 18 month old sewing machine could free motion quilt so I purchased a foot that would able me to play.
I cut the calico to cushion size and stamped the poppy from Poppy Meadow with black fabric ink pad into the centre and waited for it to dry. I then cut the wadding and another piece of calico and pinned together. With the pieces of fabric sandwiched together I started by machine stitching the outline of the poppy with black cotton and then the oval which I had drawn around a nestabilities oval. I drew a flourish and transferred it to the calico with a water soluble pen. I stitched around the flourish and then set to with the free motion stitching.
I hand stitched the detail of the poppy and leaves and added French knots to the flower centres. Finally, the cushion was assembled. I hope this project has helped to show that stamps aren't only for paper or card. Thanks for stopping by Debbie

3 comments:

  1. Wow Debbie this is beautiful and what a brilliant idea, thanks for sharing

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. An astonishing creation - I must say I love the elegance of the black & white & all the texture you have incorporated into the whole project.
    You've given me an idea for a paper project too - since I'm not a needle person at all.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS what an addition to a home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!