Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 20 July 2013

Stitched Poppy by Debbie

Good morning. My project today was inspired by my lovely friend and DT buddy Judith as I thought her beautiful poppy cottage will have gorgeous soft furnishing and a cushion with a poppy on would be perfect. I recently discovered my 18 month old sewing machine could free motion quilt so I purchased a foot that would able me to play.
I cut the calico to cushion size and stamped the poppy from Poppy Meadow with black fabric ink pad into the centre and waited for it to dry. I then cut the wadding and another piece of calico and pinned together. With the pieces of fabric sandwiched together I started by machine stitching the outline of the poppy with black cotton and then the oval which I had drawn around a nestabilities oval. I drew a flourish and transferred it to the calico with a water soluble pen. I stitched around the flourish and then set to with the free motion stitching.
I hand stitched the detail of the poppy and leaves and added French knots to the flower centres. Finally, the cushion was assembled. I hope this project has helped to show that stamps aren't only for paper or card. Thanks for stopping by Debbie

3 comments:

  1. Wow Debbie this is beautiful and what a brilliant idea, thanks for sharing

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. An astonishing creation - I must say I love the elegance of the black & white & all the texture you have incorporated into the whole project.
    You've given me an idea for a paper project too - since I'm not a needle person at all.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!