Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 24 December 2011

Blue Butterflies (posted by Judith)

When Glenda sent me the Punky Romance stamp sheet, I was very happy. There are so many different stamps on the sheet, and I could see that there were so many different uses for this set. I love the big corner stamp, and that was what I wanted to use for this project.

I painted a canvas with stone coloured acrylic paint, blending a couple of colours to get the effect that I wanted. I added molding paste through a brick stencil on one side to give the effect of a wall, echoing the bricks on the stamp image. I stamped the image onto tissue paper for the base layer, and added this to the canvas. I then stamped the image three times, colouring it in with Polychromos pencils. I cut the image out, and decoupaged it over the tissue paper layer. I stamped some extra butterflies and flowers from Ruby Tuesday and Patchwork Butterfly, to name just two sets, and coloured those to match. I die cut some black leaves to echo those on the stamp image, and stuck them up the textured brick area of the canvas, and added the extra flowers and butterflies. To finish, I added some metal cogs.


The finished piece is quite striking in its colour scheme, very unusual for me! This stamp set really inspired me to push the boundaries with my colour choices, as you will see with some of my other projects! The layers in this one were time consuming, but worth it for the finished effect.



Keep checking back to see what the other Design Team members have been up to over the holidays. Have a great Christmas, and I hope that you get some lovely crafty presents this year! Judith xx

8 comments:

  1. Hi Judith. You've created an amazing piece of artwork. The time spent definately shows in the cutting out you've done. I love the colours. Have a wonderful Christmas. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just fabulous Judith. Lovely cut work on the stamped image. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant use of these great new stamps - mine are on order (just couldn't resist).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Judith, I love the colour combo. You've given this a very feminine look with the butterflies and flowers. Will be ordering mine in the new year.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous.I love it.
    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Judith and love the colours used. I definitely need these stamps. Happy Christmas. Suexxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautifull is your card!!!! Very well done you made a masterpiece, but what a lot of work did you have!!! Congratulations , I like it very much!!!

    greatings
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite stunning & a remarkable use of colour - love the shabby chic look of it combined with the Steampunk. It certainly illustrates how versatile the Chocolate Baroque range is when you say them used to such potential as this. Your'e right about CB stamps stretching horizons too - I'd not seen your post when I wrote that in another comment so that just proves the truth of it.
    Brilliant. Santa's Elves I know have been picking things off the CB website.
    With best wishes for a lovely Christmas & all the best for 2012. Thanks for all your inspiration too.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!