Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday 8 April 2020

Pretty in Pink (by Kim)

Hello everyone, today sees the first of three blog posts this month by Kim Shaw, who is joining our Guest Design Team. Kim will be known to you already, as she regularly makes TV samples for our shows on Hochanda. Kim has created a pretty floral card for your inspiration.

Kim writes:

How is everyone coping in this strange new way of living we find ourselves?

As I write this life is very unknown- will my place of work survive? I work for a Charity Heritage Railway in Peterborough. We have had to close our doors given all that is going on- so that is very worrying. I find turning to craft will be one of the ways forward to seek some solace and calm my wandering thoughts!

I made this card today using Chocolate Baroque's wonderful Freesia Blueprint set- such a beautiful flower in real life with a lovely fragrance, and speaks of pleasant sunny days and happy times.

This card is on an 8x8 card base - I used a white layer measured at 7.5 x 7.5, for stamping on and then mounted on to a piece of red card measured to 7.75 x 7.75 (all measurements are inches).

On the white layer I first used a circular mask- you could use a stencil or paper with a circle cut out. I found a size that enabled me to make it as though it was a snapshot of the focal point of the main flower.

I then used Spun Sugar Distress Ink and with a soft brush built the colour up in several layers- lifting the stencil/mask to check my progress until there was enough colour to my satisfaction. Once I was happy with the level of colour I then stamped my focal image through the stencil/mask and then carefully removed the stencil, using Black Versafine- I find that Versafine brings the delicate lines of the image right out.

My next step was to colour in the flowers- I am a lover of Faber Castell as they just suit me- however you could just use any medium of your choice or indeed watercolour paints. I gently built the layers of colour slowly and steadily until I was happy with my focal image.

My next step was to stamp the corner with the stamp set is the ideal selection of a section of a protractor perfect for the job in hand. I used the same Spun Sugar, but this time in Oxide Ink- this complemented perfectly as the chalkiness of the ink makes it perfect to stamp with. If you used the ordinary Distress Ink the image would not be as crisp- it would be distressed as the ink has an almost split effect when used for stamping.

I then took a black fine liner pen and went around the circle- I did not want a perfect circle I wanted the wobbly look- probably reflects my current state of mind!

Lastly I used one of the sentiments from the set- perfect!

Finally I layered everything up- the red card complemented the pink perfectly.

I hope you like my card and cannot praise the set of blueprint images enough- they stamp beautifully- every fine little detail- exactly how you would see a blueprint!

Keep safe and well everyone

Kim xx

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and I think it's the first time that I've seen red used with the stamp, it works really well with the pink. I have this stamp and I have to say that I've used it so many times, in fact I made another three cards with it yesterday. I love it and I love your card too Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty look with the Freesia Blueprint Kim and I love the light to dark shades of pink you have used which keeps everything in harmony. A beautiful card. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!