Pin It button on image hover

Friday 12 June 2015

Mixed Media Frames (by Julie)

Today I want to show you two frames that I have made using the new Rustic Fragments stamp set. 

 

I started by spreading molding paste through a Prima Stencil (Bamboo) and when dry, painted the whole frame with a pale blue acrylic paint, followed by some gold gilding wax to highlight the stencil.
The background was created by stamping two of the Rustic Fragment stamps on top of each other, using Cracked Pistachio and Weathered Wood Distress ink.
I used the lovely Butterfly Blush  set and kiss stamped with the Rustic Fragments to get the texture on the butterflies. I found that inking up the solid stamp and then stamping onto scrap card, before kissing with the fragment stamp provided a much crisper design.
As you can see I have finished the frame with some cream cord and pale blue buttons that I had in my stash.


For my second frame I decided to just spread the molding paste straight onto the frame and then pulled a Contour Tool through the paste to create the squiggles. Once dry I painted with a light brown acrylic paint, followed by gold gilding wax and a touch of a pale-blue pearl paint to highlight the contours.
The flower is from the Fresh Blooms stamp set. I stamped three of the images from the set and then over stamped them with some of the Rustic Fragments  using blue, red and orange dye ink. I then cut them out and layered them up to create the 3D flower.
The background was stamped with the large woven Fragment stamp and then water-coloured with brown and blue pencils, however I felt the patterns clashed too much so over-painted a square panel with the pale-blue pearl paint for the flower to sit on, just leaving a border of the fragment stamp instead.
As before I finished the frame off with some brown cord and buttons from my stash.

Thanks for stopping by xx

8 comments:

  1. Two lovely frames and thanks for the reminder about kiss stamping. It's a technique I haven't used for ages so I must give it a go again
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely, especially the first one, love the texture.
    The rustic fragments set is on my wish list, it will be very useful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colours and so beautiful all the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beautiful rustic frames Julia using the texture paste and some great ideas for using the fragment stamps too. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. great effects on the frames and lovely kiss stamping too - beautiful work xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your designs are really gorgious dear Julie, I really love them both, great colours and great inspiration!!!

    Greetings
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two beautiful works, the colours and textures are fabulous, kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are lovely Julie! My favourite is the first but only because I adore butterflies, lol! The flower you created and the stencil for the texture on the second one compliment each other beautifully,

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!