Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday 16 February 2022

The Toadstool Garden (by Lorraine)

This is a beautiful stamp, which really lends itself to large format cards. There are so many possibilities - stamped in its entirety and coloured, decoupaged over various elements, or simply using elements from within the design.

For this example, I took a piece of cotton rag paper and coloured the background using a variety of Distress Oxide colours. I kept applying ink, then adding a spritz of water until I was happy with the result. I made sure that it was completely dry before stamping the image using my stamp press. As the surface is quite textured, this allowed me to stamp several times to get a good depth of image. I then embossed with fine detail clear powder - I find this enhances the image and provides a better outline for colouring.

I decided to pick out just a couple of details to use as focal points - the toadstools and the flowers seemed the obvious choice to me, but there is plenty of smaller detail which would also work well. I used my pencils to add colour and shading. I also applied some glitter, although this doesn't show too well on the picture.

I mounted the cotton rag onto black paper, with the edge deckled to mimic the rough edge, as I though it didn't suit a more formal square or rectangular mount. Finally, I used a strong adhesive to adhere it to a large card. The cotton rag tends to be quite absorbent, so a belt and braces approach works best to ensure that your masterpiece doesn't fall apart before it reaches your lucky recipient!


3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful large image Lorraine and looks quite vintage with its torn edges and given age with the background colour, and love just the touch of pink and brown for the flowers and toadstools, and stands out beautifully against the white card. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your choice of what to colour, a beauitful and clever card.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful I love how you've just coloured parts of the image as it looks relly effective x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!