Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday 13 April 2022

Black and White with Added Colour (by Christine)

Hello everyone, today sees the first of three posts from our Guest Design Team member Christine Patch. Christine has created a couple of pretty floral projects for your inspiration. 

 

Christine writes:

 

Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to be back from a bout of ill health to contribute to the Blog and am sharing two projects. 

The first is a set of note cards which I have been planning for a while. I used a die to give me a decorative background for all six, three using black and three white card. For the white version I used a lovely stamp from the Rose and Thistle set, fussy cut it out three times and then used shimmer watercolour paints as my colouring medium.

For the next three, I chose one of the stamps from the Sunny Sunflowers set and then used coloured pencils as my colouring option. I chose a light and dark orange, a light and dark blue, and a light and dark red.


My second project is for my art journal. It is watercolour card, A4 in size, and started life out as a clean-up from a piece started last year! (They do say crafters never throw anything out?)

It was a mix of shades of blue so I added some Worn Lipstick and Spiced Marmalade Distress Inks through two of the Chocolate Baroque Strip Stencils to add a little more colour. The stamps I chose for this project are some of the latest that were shown on Create and Craft recently, the Floral Paraphernalia Slim Strip and the Phenomenal Butterfly Slim Strip.


I stamped them directly on to the page, then twice on to plain card, cut out each stamp in its entirety and placed it over the relevant image, then fussy cut out selected areas from the second card. These I coloured using the shimmer watercolour paints again as a contrast to the rest of the stamped image. Finally, I edged the entire page in Black Soot Distress Ink and then used a black watercolour pencil around the edge of both stamps, followed by a water brush to bring out the black. This acts as a shadow that makes the images stand out a little more from the background. I thought the main areas of the stamps needed a little more colour so added some coloured pencil here and there.

I hope you like the projects and that they inspire you to do some of your own.

Happy Crafting!






2 comments:

  1. Glad you are better Christine and back with some wonderful note cards and a beautiful journal page in some bright and pretty colours. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!