Pin It button on image hover

Friday 13 August 2021

Introducing Our New Guest Design Team Member Lorraine Crosby

Hello everyone, our final new Guest Design Team member is Lorraine, and we would like to welcome her to the Team. We are sure that you will join us in congratulating her on her place on the Team. We asked Lorraine to tell us a little bit about herself, and this is what she had to say:

Firstly a little bit about me. I am 64, an avid crafter, married, with a son who is currently living at home. Crafting is my escape from the day-to-day routine and my go-to at times of stress. I have crafted in some form more or less all my life - sewing, embroidery, knitting and crochet, but things really took off when I discovered papercraft a little over 30 years ago. I was booked for a small operation and wanted something that I could do whilst recuperating. I bought a few supplies to keep me occupied - little did I realise the depth of the rabbit hole I had just fallen into! I had my op, was fine after 3 days, but by then was hooked, and so it started!

 I enjoy all sorts of papercraft - stamping, inking, watercolour, mixed media. I'm always trying new twists on the old favourites and looking for inspiration and ways to challege myself. Before the pandemic, I loved attending classes and travelled far and wide to be taught by some fantastic tutors, and of course, meeting some lovely people along the way. Over the last year, like many, I have relied more heavily on internet classes, both paid and free. The generosity of these tutors has blown me away, and to be honest has kept me going on some of the darker days. It's also cost me a lot of money, as there also seems to be something I need that can't be found in my extensive stash of crafting goodies! But hey ho, needs must and I'm not complaining.

Majestic Crane

My first entry as a Team Member for Chocolate Baroque. I'm so excited to be here! For this post, I'll be highlighting one of the stamps featured in the Craft Store show from early July.

I was drawn to Oriental as soon as I saw this crane. My first intention was to add the word 'crane' in Japanese, but this proved too difficult! As this is such a large image, I used an 8 x 8 card. I had a rummage through my paper stash, and came across some beautiful patterned papers that my sister brought back from Japan, many years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have one piece large enough to use as the background, but I think the three together, matted onto black card, create a pleasing triptych effect. I stamped the crane and the sentiment using Nocturne Versafine Clair on to 250 gsm white card, and embossed with clear powder. I prefer to do this with images as it reduces the chances of smudging and besides, who has time to watch ink dry? The image was then coloured with Derwent Inktense pencils. I definitely need more practise in doing this. Finally, the whole image was cut out and mounted on the card, using foam pads to add depth, together with the sentiment.




9 comments:

  1. Welcome to the team! And what a beautiful Asian look you gave this stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Lorraine. A lovely card, the Japanese papers compliment the crane very well with beautiful colours. Best wishes Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought Oriental as soon as I saw the stamp. Can't tell you how long those papers have been in my stash! xx

      Delete
  3. Welcome and such beautiful creation for your first spot! Love how the crane pops from the wonderful Japanese papers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The colours are beautiful, aren't they? xx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on becoming a Guest Designer Lorraine and the crane goes beautifully with the oriental style papers, and love the look of the three panel design. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new designer spot, your first card is pretty special. I love the triptych effect and the bright paper behind the central panel and the more muted at the sides. It truly is majestic xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!